Help! Snow-Zilla has me trapped in my North Country home

Enough is enough. It has been snowing in the North Country since October, and I haven't seen my front lawn since then. In our location - only a few minutes from the Maine border and half-an-hour to the Canadian border, it snows up here every day.


My daughter, Lisa, often has nightmares about being stalked by a Godzilla-like monster. Well so am I - but it's real. The home my wife and I inhabit is slowly being enveloped by a white monster that never stops growing. Guests coming to our house are warned to book it inside before part of that white behemoth drops on their heads.


That white slab overhanging our roof is really more of a glacier made up of ice and snow. When it lets loose and drops off our metal roof, the sound inside our home is deafening. That glacier now blots out two-thirds of my window as a write this. My area is beautiful year-round, but I prefer warmer weather and scenes like the one featured on a postage stamp - showing the Androscoggin River and the 13-mile woods in the town of Errol.


I have read that our location is a true alpine area, thus gets more snow that starts early and lasts longer. That is one reason a group is seeking to revitalize the Balsams Resort in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire and enlarge the ski area - about 10 minutes west of our house.

The good news is that it is February 17th, and the weather will start warming. The issue is that those snowbanks will be here until July.

Follow Tom at @TomLaneHC, @CelticsSentinel and Facebook

Photos via Linda Lane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My encounter with North Woods Law and the talking partridge

A novel approach to moose-calling